Creative space

Allowing students to paint their parking spots sparks creativity

Students arrive at school to a bland parking lot. Painted spots would allow for more creativity.

Eisenhower is bland and the parking lot is boring, but a splash of color is possible by allowing students to express themselves by painting their own parking space.

Painted parking spots would add colors and patterns to the lot. Bright and warm colors such as red, orange, pink, lilac and yellow have uplifting effects, according to 99designs.com. Walking into school in the morning and seeing colors could boost moods.

Painted parking spots would mean those students would be assigned a designated parking space, having assigned spaces may prevent students without parking passes from parking in the school’s parking lot. The number on the parking pass of the car would represent the spot in the parking lot. All students would be assigned a spot but not required to paint it. 

Sometimes accidents happen and car doors hit other cars. With students parking in the same spot everyday, it would be easier to identify who did what and charge them accordingly. This would be easier on the school officer and hopefully prevent students from damaging other students’ property. 

Designs and ideas would have to be approved by an art teacher before being painted to prevent inappropriate material from being displayed. 

To make this even more special, the privilege of painting a parking spot can be restricted to seniors only. This would give the lowerclassmen something to look forward to and give the seniors one last time to leave their mark on the school. 

It can be argued that the paint could hurt the environment; however, in order to make sure the environment is not affected, rules would be put in place to have non-toxic paints.

To make entering the school a brighter place, allow senior students to paint their parking lot and express themselves. To make this happen, students would propose the idea to the building principal and get it approved by the school board office.