You snooze, you loose

Students struggle with sleep prioritization

Most students hit that snooze button multiple times every morning before getting ready for school due to not getting enough sleep. Having a good breakfast is a motivator to get out of bed. “I can drink iced coffee or something that would make me more energetic,” junior Martina Yossif said.

Falling asleep in class with the pressuring sight of piles of homework ahead feels like a never-ending cycle.

“Everyone’s tired and just like it’s too much work and pressure,” junior Martina Yossif said.

With six classes of homework, extra-curricular activities and personal struggles, it all adds up to something. Yet, there are some things that can improve this situation.

“They should change or try to prioritize their sleeping habits,” government teacher John Bertich said.

Over the years, he has noticed an increase of sleepiness and a decrease of interactivity in his first hour classes. Students struggle with going to school for eight hours, getting homework done, working a job and participating in extracurriculars, while having plenty of free time.

It takes a lot of self-discipline and self-denial to start new habits. Finding a balance for students to feel productive, motivated, put together and excited to start the day is worth it.

“The more they put in,” Bertich said, “I believe the more they get out of the class.”