Giving is Helping

Toys for Tots turns into a competition in Mr. Donahue’s Economic classes

Toys 4 Tots is one of the most known fundraisers in America, see how the Economic classes make a competition out of the fundraiser.

The competition between Kevin Donahue’s Economics classes to see who can earn the most money for Toys 4 Tots. “This will be the 27th year of this tradition. None of these decorations has lasted all 27 years, but there are some that are over 20 years old that students have made,” Donahue said. The challenge raises money for the fundraiser while also giving students a break.

“It’s a chance for fun to act like elementary school kids while just taking a day to have an atmosphere that’s different from plain old cinder block walls, ” economics teacher Kevin Donahue said. “We do it to bring attention to raising money for Toys 4 Tots, they can learn to be charitable and think about other people.”

As of Wednesday, Nov. 3, Kevin Donahue’s Economic classes compete in a competition to see which hour can raise the most money for Toys 4 Tots. The winner gets a pancake and waffle breakfast on Friday, Nov. 12. Even if a class doesn’t earn the most money, if a class gets over $150 they will automatically get breakfast. 

“I think it’s a great way for all the five hours to compete and raise money for the Toys 4 Tots foundation, ” junior Alyssa Brown said. 

A week before the breakfast, Nov. 5, each class gets to put holiday decorations up throughout the classroom. The classes have a week to raise the money for Toys 4 Tots. At the beginning or end of every class Mr. Donahue asks the students if they have any cash to donate. 

“Sometimes students aren’t very inclined to participate in activities like Toys 4 Tots, but the competition for breakfast gives students a reason to participate,” senior Lauren Sharplin said.