COVID and chill

Fill time during the quarantine by binging new shows on Netflix

Despite being only a week and a half in, many students are already struggling to find ways to entertain themselves during this period of self-isolation due to COVID-19; however, finding a new show to watch can provide a needed distraction from quarantine stress and substitute the daily dose of actual high school drama.

Show: On My Block

Seasons: Three

Rotten Tomatoes rating: 94 percent

Netflix description: In a rough inner-city Los Angeles neighborhood, four teens find their lifelong friendship tested as they begin high school

Why to watch: “On My Block” may provide one with an opportunity to see both the similarities and the differences of how lives are lived in other communities. It features high school aged kids dealing with serious issues, such as a gang war, while still staying optimistic and light hearted. This opens a viewer’s mind to the importance of loyalty while still providing comedic relief throughout.

Show: Stranger Things

Seasons: Three

Rotten Tomatoes rating: 93 percent

Netflix description: When a young boy vanishes, a small town uncovers a mystery involving secret experiments, terrifying supernatural forces and one strange little girl

Why to watch: “Stranger Things” is a teen drama unlike any other. Set in the 80’s and based around a young girl who can travel to other dimensions, this show takes one out of the mundane room they’ve been sitting in for the majority of the quarantine and into the complex, other-worldly town of Hawkins, Indiana. The plot has shocking twists guaranteed to make one laugh, cry and everything in between.

Show: That 70’s Show

Seasons: Eight

Rotten Tomatoes rating: 74 percent

Netflix description: Feel groovy in 1970s suburbia, where a teen and his pals hang in the basement, listening to rock and indulging other hazy benefits of ’70s culture

Why to watch: One can experience life through the eyes of a 1970s teen in this comedy show. Solve the need for a simpler time by watching “That 70’s Show”, a series perfect for anyone who’s claimed to be born in the wrong generation or really, anyone who needs a good laugh and a binge watch that requires low concentration and attention to plot on the viewer’s part.

Show: Glee

Seasons: Six

Rotten Tomatoes rating: 71 percent

Netflix description: Amid relationship woes and personal attacks from a wicked cheerleading coach, a teacher fights to turn underdog glee club members into winners

Why to watch: For those who are seriously missing their daily choir, band or theater class, “Glee” is the perfect solution. The sometimes outrageous plot, scattered with countless musical numbers, instantly lifts one’s mood and will fill the void in any choir kid’s heart left due to a lack of singing on a daily basis. For those not in a music or acting class at the moment, this series may help one find a possible new class to put on next year’s schedule.

Show: Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

Seasons: Three

Rotten Tomatoes rating: 84 percent

Netflix description: Magic and mischief collide as half-human, half-witch Sabrina navigates between two worlds: mortal teen life and her family’s legacy, the Church of Night

Why to watch: The “Chilling Adventures of Sabrina” puts a new spin on an old comic, updating the basic plot lines and characters into a concept one won’t be able to find anywhere else. For anyone who keeps Halloween decorations up year round, this show’s eerie cinematography and occasional scares will have one dreaming of fall instead of focusing on the boredom of self-isolation.

Show: Victorious

Seasons: Three

Rotten Tomatoes rating: 81 percent

Netflix description: When aspiring singer Tori Vega joins the eccentric students at Hollywood Arts High, she struggles to fit in with the amazingly talented teens

Why to watch: A bit of nostalgia could be just what one needs when feeling bored or missing friends. “Victorious” is an ideal show to watch if one finds their self missing friends and classes and searching for a good laugh that they don’t get just sitting at home. This show instills a feeling of normalcy when watching because of its characters’ constant dilemmas, all centered around high school.

During this stressful time, it can be easy to want to give into panic and concern. Whether it’s exercising, making art or binge watching a new series, one should allow themselves to do something that keeps them happy, entertained and safe.