AP economics students excel

Graphics courtesy of Derek D’Angelo

“Above the national average.”

Not a common phrase, but the average AP Microeconomics or Macroeconomics student is just that.

“Our focus and goal is to make sure every student is prepared to be successful on the AP tests in May,” AP Microeconomics and Macroeconomics teacher Derek D’Angelo said. “Every assignment given is designed to meet our goal and busy work is non-existent.”

D’Angelo’s students averaged a 3.67 out of 5 on the AP Microeconomics test, while the national average was a 3.17. They averaged a 2.96 out of 5 on the AP Macroeconomics test, with a national average of 2.76. Microeconomics is taught first semester and students still perform very well on the test in May.

“The two AP Economics courses are suited for the student who is self-motivated and has a desire to learn challenging material in a supportive environment,” D’Angelo said.

Both classes do pencil and paper assignments along with online work, according to D’Angelo. An answer key is provided for any written assignments as soon as they’re assigned because it encourages the students to focus on learning instead of just finishing the assignment.

AP Microeconomics and AP Macroeconomics are each one semester long. Most students take them both in one year, which gives them the opportunity to earn eight credits. Which would cost $7259 at Michigan State University in 2015-2016, instead of an average AP which is two semesters and only gives the opportunity for four credits.

Taking either AP Economics class can benefit students far more than monetarily or for a test.

“Everything you taught me has greatly helped me in some of my economics classes at Michigan State,” said one of D’Angelo’s previous students who would like to remain anonymous. “I truly feel like I got a leg up in these challenging classes because of you.”