The student news site of Eisenhower High School

Ike News

Ike News

Ike News

Vicious verities

“Verity” by Colleen Hoover and soon to be Amazon movie leaves readers horror-struck
Colleen Hoover’s romantic-thriller “Verity” captivates and terrifies readers. It sold more than two million copies.

Walking to work, protagonist Lowen Ashleigh hears a man’s skull “pop like a champagne bottle” after getting hit by a car. Quite the opening scene, right? My brain ached as if it got run over too after digesting the disturbing thriller “Verity” by Colleen Hoover.

“Verity” didn’t become any less unsettling after the opening scene. In fact, it truly lived up to its name as a thriller. 

This train-wreck of a story starts when author Lowen Ashleigh receives the daunting task of completing author Verity Crawford’s remaining books in her villainous series. Verity is disabled after a car accident but her husband, Jeremy, is determined for someone to finish her series. After accepting the offer, Lowen moves into their house to get into Verity’s headspace.

Trouble starts after Lowen uncovers a hidden manuscript which appears to be Verity’s autobiography. Instead of describing Verity as a loving mother and wife, the manuscript depicts her as her daughters’ monstrous killer.

Ironically, Verity means truth which Lowen searches for throughout the book. While battling these unsettling realizations about Verity, Lowen develops feelings for Jeremy. Lines blur and reality vanishes.

Per usual, Colleen’s writing didn’t disappoint. It’s descriptive yet simple and easy to digest. Additionally, the characters are morally complex and possess depth to them which makes for an intriguing read. 

That said, the plot twists compel one to continuously turn the page, but regret doing it each time. The characters’ morality goes out the window. The truth is twisted to the point no one knows reality. The ending is up for interpretation. 

It leaves one wondering what they just dedicated the past 314 pages and five hours of their life to. Not to mention, questioning Hoover’s headspace when crafting a tale this dark. All of her previous works had a dark twist to them, but this leaves no room for competition in terms of leaving readers horror-struck. Bewildering lies, hidden truths, occasional murder—you name it, it’s got it. 

Overall, “Verity” will haunt its readers for months after completion. Which will make for an interesting movie, soon to be produced by Amazon Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, and scar more viewers.

Don’t grab this thinking it’s another one of Colleen’s books like “It Ends with Us.” On the flip side, die-hard thriller fans shouldn’t hesitate to pick this up or watch the movie