The student news site of Eisenhower High School

Ike News

Ike News

Ike News

Eagles reach All-State status

The Women’s Chorus Blue Ensemble makes history
Harmony highs. Rehearsing their songs for the Michigan School Vocal Music Association All-State-Festival, the Women’s Chorus Blue Ensemble perform for choir teacher Julia Holt. To make it to the festival, ensemble members previously competed in the state solo and ensemble festival. “It (rehearsals) can be stressful but in the best way because we’re all learning songs that we know we’re going to sound great for in the end. And we all work really hard to get where we are,” junior ensemble member Raegan McCloud said.

From harmonizing melodies to reaching a harmonious achievement, the Women’s Chorus Blue Ensemble hits crescendo after getting picked for the All-State-Festival.

“I was very proud [when I found out we got selected for the Festival] because that only happened once ever in our choirs’ history,” junior Women’s Chorus Blue Ensemble member Raegan McCloud said.

After the state solo and ensemble festival, the ensemble was named first out of six from their group. Their performance then got played in front of a listening panel which hand picked them to be in the festival. On Friday, May 10 at 1 p.m. the Women’s Chorus Blue Ensemble performs at the Michigan School Vocal Music Association All-State-Festival, which takes place at Michigan State University. 2015 was the last time the choir got selected for the festival. 

“I was really excited [when I found out when our vocalists were selected as one of the top choirs], we know we work really hard here and we do sing at a really high level, but it’s nice to have other people tell you that you’re the best of the best,” choir teacher Julia Holt said.

With this achievement came challenges. Holt taught another ensemble at the same time as the Women’s Chorus Blue Ensemble, so students had a lot of alone time to work without instruction. 

“That group worked really hard, so that was a good thing. But it’s just learning new music that really adds to the high level. There’s just a lot of attention to detail,” Holt said.

The choir’s songs include: ‘Kali’s Song’ by Donald Patriquin and ‘Fy Upon You, Fy!’ arranged by Tom Fettke. 

“[Memorable moments of this process were] just being able to make music together with the students,” Holt said. “Seeing them onstage and seeing them really enjoy it and really be a part of it.”