The student news site of Eisenhower High School

Ike News

Ike News

Ike News

Mascara Matchup

Two mascaras, one from Sephora and one from a drugstore, compete primarily for length and volume
Curl Up the Heat. Fenty Beauty’s “Hella Thicc” mascara rivals Revlon’s Volume + Magnified mascara in formula, appearance and durability. The mascaras were examined throughout a Sunday consisting of minimum activity.
Coffee, Gabrielle
Curl Up the Heat. Fenty Beauty’s “Hella Thicc” mascara rivals Revlon’s “Volume + Magnified” mascara in formula, appearance and durability. The mascaras were examined throughout a Sunday consisting of minimum activity.

Curl, blink, apply, repeat is the routine for both of these mascaras.

When it comes to mascara formula, appearance and durability is always taken into account. How does it apply, did it make a difference, how well does it last, are all questions to be asked about any mascara. 

Fenty Beauty’s “Hella Thicc” mascara promises thickness, volume and length. This mascara price point is at $19.00 at Sephora, which is a few dollars cheaper than other Sephora mascaras. Coming in a rectangular black and white cardboard box, the mascara tube was a black diamond shape with a straight bristle wand.

Formula wise, it was messy with a wet consistency that left excess formula on the wand’s tip. A wet formula isn’t immediately a red flag but is concerning as it’s a volume mascara.

Application was tedious since the formula did not latch onto the lashes easily. Three coats were needed to completely give the mascara justice. In comparison to the right eye before, it undoubtedly gave it a more volumizing appearance, yet still lacking in length. 

Durability was tested throughout an average Sunday of going to the store, doing homework and studying. It held up its volume throughout the trip to the store, but after the lashes did fall, taking away the volume. 

Accompanied with the fallen lashes was a repeated irritated eye sting and pinch. So, cutting its life short, the mascara had to be wiped off. Using micellar water and a cotton pad, the mascara came off smoothly and was almost fully off the eye within two-three wipes. 

Could Revlon’s “Volume + Magnified” be Fenty’s “dupe”? The mascara starts at $10.30 at CVS pharmacy. It came in a clear plastic cover, and a designed cardboard backing of the brand. The tube of mascara was matte black and oval, containing a short, bristled wand that slightly curved at the top. 

Formula was dry and barley picked up on the wand. Fortunately, when applying the mascara, doing three coats total, it immediately caught on the lashes and only left small amounts of -residue on the eyelid. 

Due to the waterproofing in the formula, cleaning the eyelid took longer to get off. Yet, there was a noticeable difference in length and volume after applying. Durability went through the same process as the first mascara. Throughout the day blinking felt uncomfortable, guessing it’s from the waterproofing in formula causing a dry eye. 

Although the lashes didn’t dramatically fall at any point of the day, there was an urgency to take it off because the dryness. Taking off the mascara, with only micellar water and cotton pad, wasn’t enough because it looked like it hadn’t been touched.

Overall, the formula of Fenty Beauty’s mascara was messy and irritating but is less bothersome than Revlon. Yet, the appearance of Revlon’s length, volume and durability made a more dramatic difference. In all “Hella Thicc” is given three curling points and Revlon’s “Volume + Magnified” sits at four curling points.