Congratulations publications

Newspaper and Yearbook publications received numerous awards from the Michigan Interscholastic Press Association

The+publications+groups+received+a+plethora+of+awards+from+the+Michigan+Interscholastic+Press+Association.%E2%80%9CThis+is+a+great+example+of+what+we+look+for+to+represent+Eisenhower+from+a+high+level%2C+achieving+a+student+group%2C+such+as+this+organization.%E2%80%9D+Principal+Brandon+Manzella+said.+

The publications groups received a plethora of awards from the Michigan Interscholastic Press Association.“This is a great example of what we look for to represent Eisenhower from a high level, achieving a student group, such as this organization.” Principal Brandon Manzella said.

The publications groups have been awarded a total of 55 awards in the division 1 category for their yearbook and newspaper spreads during the 2022-2023 school year.  

After working hard all year long, creating page after page, the yearbook program was awarded 13 honorable mentions, seven first place awards, 10 second place awards and eight third place awards totaling up to 38 total awards.

“Looking back and seeing all the hard work that you put in and then just getting to sit back and feel proud of yourself is really fulfilling,” senior yearbook Co-Editor-in-Chief Alena Kasmikha said. “It’s a good memory to have to know that your work actually paid off.” 

Both publications submitted their yearbook and newspaper spreads to the Michigan Interscholastic Press Association, which is a statewide program run out of Michigan State University. There are multiple categories to submit to show off each individual’s hard work and dedication throughout the year. 

With a staff of only nine, the newspaper group was able to receive a total of 17 awards for the 2022-2023 spreads. With eight honorable mentions, one first place win, 2 second place awards, and three third place awards, this staff was able to pull out all the stops to put multiple papers together for the school and community enjoyment. 

“I’m really proud of the staff this year,” senior Co-Editor-in-Chief Chase Schwarz said. “This year started off pretty shaky and we didn’t really know how it would go in comparison to last year, but I feel like we really gave it out all and accomplished a ton.” 

While being under the direction of their adviser Erica Kincannon, both yearbook and newspaper classes are mostly student-led. They are able to accomplish multiple newspaper editions, send out yearbooks while also creating a spring supplement for the student body to enjoy in a timely manner. 

“It feels really great because after all the hard work we put in throughout the whole year, it’s nice to see us get acknowledged for it,” senior Yearbook Co-Editor-in-Chief Alexis Urbano said. 

Student and staff feedback and support is a great way to recognize the publication groups’ dedication throughout the year.

“What you guys have done in getting 55 awards is way beyond what anyone expected,” Principal Bandon Manzella said. “So, when we take a look at the professionalism, dedication and perseverance in which you guys work to make this happen, it is beyond impressive.”