Students take on AP classes

PRO

Some students think of the world as a giant ice rink, as if they’re entitled to skate by in life.

This may work for a while, but life hits hard after high school. That’s why it’s important for students to prepare for their futures by taking Advanced Placement (AP) classes in high school.

Expectations increase and the world demands students become independent quickly. Students who choose to be coddled aren’t doing themselves any favors.

AP classes feature a more vigorous curriculum that prepares students for the fast-paced courses they’ll face in college.

These strenuous programs may seem hard to keep up with at first, but it’s important to remember the long-term financial benefit.

When students take AP classes and score well on the corresponding test, they knock out first year required college classes that don’t necessarily apply to a desired degree.

The tests that qualify students for college credit are $86 each, thousands less than the cost of college classes. And considering rise in cost of college tuition, that alone should be reason enough to enroll in a few AP classes.

Along with financial benefit, college admission officers are more likely to accept students with an impressive course load in their transcripts, according to counselor Dr. Julia Jones-Lau.

Each AP class also comes with a .5 GPA boost, a reward for students who avoid all short-cuts.

Above all, it’s important to remember these are college classes intended for college students. They’re going to take intense initiative, dedication and studying; but with everything considered, the choice of whether or not take them is a no-brainer.

CON

The giant books, the exploding binders, the backpacks carrying so much weight the seams start tearing apart. Welcome to the life of an Advanced Placement (AP) student.

Since 2004, the number of students taking AP classes rose by nearly 50 percent, according to the College Board. And it isn’t without reason. Students are encouraged to take more and more AP classes to improve their college applications and make themselves stand out from other students.

While submitting a desirable application sounds appealing, all the nitty-gritty and behind the scenes work is forgotten about when students sign up for the class. Teens end up taking on more than they can handle and in over their heads.

While they drown in school work, teens lose sight of the finish line and what their dedication will accomplish. The constant stream of never-ending school work becomes dreadful and burdensome.

Students find themselves awake at three in the morning stressing over classes, studying for their multiple tests the next day. Constant homework, essays and projects take away from the balance students need in their lives.

Their motivation and desire to keep pushing forward, maintain good grades and continue their hard work ends up in the trash and on the side of the road on garbage day.

When teens begin to cram and memorize, they stop learning and understanding the material. The memories last long enough to write the test answers correctly, but disappear as soon as the answer bubble is filled.

Truth be told, taking an overload of advanced classes isn’t worth the stress, the late nights or the overwhelming amounts of homework each night.

Don’t overdo it. Know the limits. Stay sane.