Fake hipsters take over school

The year of 2013 brought many changes, but the most riveting was everyone thinking they’re a hipster; a person who disregards society’s norms and indulges in unique activities.

This school found itself infiltrated with the modern version of the “hipster.” It wasn’t an attack society saw coming. Nowadays, half of the students flaunt the newest arrivals from Urban Outfitters and chat about how they’re meeting at Dessert Oasis for chai tea lattes.

According to Anatole Broyard’s “A Portrait Of a Hipster”, the term can be traced back to the 1940s when it applied to rich, over privileged, white men who listened to jazz, drank too much and lived promiscuous lifestyles with multiple partners. In the early 2000s, it stood for struggling artists who lived in Brooklyn, sported silly facial hair and listened to independently produced alternative music.

Today, as 2013 comes to a close, hipster appears to be a term applied to literally anything and anyone.

New cardigan from H&M? Hipster. Love for the movie “500 Days of Summer?” Hipster. Enjoy any music that isn’t on the radio? Hipster.

Many students pretend to be something they’re not. The irony remains that people are so concerned with becoming a hipster, they’re drowning in the mainstream they tried so hard to avoid.

Teenagers hold the right to express their individuality and experiment with high-end fashion and indie music. If a student pushed back their Neff beanie and looked into the mirror through their Ray Bans and believed their reflection truly represents themselves, then so be it.

But not everyone can wear skinny jeans, not everyone can be in love with “Perks Of Being a Wallflower” and not everyone can enjoy listening to Lana Del Rey.

As a high school student, teenagers need to learn how to find their own identity. Some kids should do themselves a favor, double check the mirror and actually be themselves.