Teens undergo COVID-19 vaccine

Many students are getting their vaccine shot to stay safe

Right before this photo was taken, sophomore Rachael Gaulin got her first dose of the Pfizer vaccine. “I was really happy my aunt was able to give me my first shot because I felt a lot less nervous,” Gaulin said. Gaulin will be getting her second dose soon.

As COVID-19 cases increase amongst children and teenagers, students get the vaccine in hopes to avoid catching the virus; there are many benefits to getting a COVID-19 vaccine and the CDC recommends to get it as soon as one is eligible. 

Sophomore Rachael Gaulin recently got her first dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine.

Everyone 16 years of age and older is eligible to receive a COVID-19 vaccination. Once fully vaccinated, students may feel more comfortable to start engaging in more activities, according to the Centers for Disease Prevention and Control (CDC).

“I decided to get the vaccine because I agreed with my mom that I should have it in case of traveling and for seeing family,” Gaulin said. 

There are several ways to look for vaccine providers near you. The first is to visit VaccineFinder.org; also check the local pharmacy’s website to see if vaccination appointments are available. If neither of these options work, contact the state health department or check local news outlets. Most vaccination providers schedule vaccination appointments online, according to the CDC. 

“The shot itself didn’t hurt at all, it felt like a little pinch or poke. I was nervous it would hurt, but it actually wasn’t bad at all,” Gaulin said. 

The only side-effect she faced was a sore arm the next day, according to Gaulin.

“I do feel a bit safer having the vaccine because I want to keep my friends and family safe,” Gaulin said.

Gaulin got her vaccine at Macomb County Health Department. She was given the vaccine by her aunt, nurse Nancy Burns.

“I feel really happy about my aunt giving me my vaccine because it gave me a chance to see her and thank her for all she does,” Gaulin said. 

Junior Zoe Yaeger also recently got her first dose of the Pfizer vaccine. She had some bad symptoms after getting the first shot.

“The shot wasn’t bad, but I felt really sick for a few days after and my arm was in a lot of pain,” Yaeger said.

Some may have side-effects after vaccination, but these are normal. It typically takes two weeks after being fully vaccinated for the body to build protection against the virus that causes COVID-19, according to the CDC.

“ I’m really happy I got my first vaccine shot because I feel like I can start to do more things like go out and hang out more with my friends now,” Yaeger said.