How social distancing affects students’ learning

Ever since COVID-19 hit the United States, it has widely affected high schools in Michigan; although some schools are doing full in-person learning, many high schools continue the hybrid schedule of learning. 

Because of the school’s separation it is harder for students to learn in groups, see their friends and even socialize in general. Some believe that they don’t learn as well when they’re not able to talk with one another because they struggle to share and discuss ideas and collaborate with one another. 

Others may believe it not to be as serious because they enjoy the thought of independent work. They believe there is nothing wrong with this type of work and it is acceptable for people to have their own ideas.

Students may not feel obligated to get as much help as they want or need. Social distancing causes students’ grades to drop, according to a study from Eric Lee Johnson who continues the study of Human Behaviorism. 

This affects students positively and negatively. Positive effects include waking up later, getting to eat whenever one wants, staying in pajamas and not seeing hundreds of students each day.This may result in students receiving the virus and passing it on to one another. Negative effects include taking advantage of being at home, as in: not listening to the teacher, going on phones during class or even leaving the computer to go watch TV. This is where the negative impact truly comes in on a student’s learning.

According to a nurse at Beaumont hospital, “It is important for students to be learning face to face because it is better for their over learning experience. This also improves level of concentration and limits distractions.”

Social distancing is most likely to have the largest effect on children ages 10 and under, according to Eric Brancardi from the University of Alabama. Very few 6 year olds are able to learn online from home. While parents are working, there will most likely not be anyone there to direct them in the right path, leading to them leaving the computer screen to play with toys, animals and other nearby distractions. x

Although a “hybrid” learning schedule is not fully in-person, it creates a diversity which allows discussions, social activity and body movement, which is extremely important throughout a worldwide pandemic.

Hybrid learning makes for a more focused and healthy environment. The students are somewhat involved in social activity while the rest of the week is at-home learning. This is more likely to result in less distractions, higher grades, better physical and mental health and more motivation.