New club helps students S.O.A.R.

A group of seven students join together to create the club S.O.A.R.

While+the+pandemic+may+make+it+difficult+to+keep+a+strong+mental+health%2C+a+new+club%2C+Supporting+Others+Arise+Radiantly+%28S.O.A.R.%29%2C+seeks+to+make+it+easier+for+students+to+do+just+that.+%E2%80%9CI+wanted+to+start+this+club+because+I+think+it%E2%80%99s+very+important+to+bring+awareness+to+mental+health+and+the+reality+of+it.+It+also+serves+as+a+support+group+to+those+who+need+it%2C%E2%80%9D+senior+Cassidy+Hamilton+said.+

While the pandemic may make it difficult to keep a strong mental health, a new club, Supporting Others Arise Radiantly (S.O.A.R.), seeks to make it easier for students to do just that. “I wanted to start this club because I think it’s very important to bring awareness to mental health and the reality of it. It also serves as a support group to those who need it,” senior Cassidy Hamilton said.

A new club, Supporting Others Arise Radiantly (S.O.A.R.), plans to help students soar above stress and anxiety to gain a strong mental health.

“I wanted to start this club because I think it’s very important to bring awareness to mental health and the reality of it. It also serves as a support group to those who need it,” senior Cassidy Hamilton said.

As some students may struggle to keep their mental health in check while isolated, a group of seven students decided to take matters into their own hands and created the club S.O.A.R back in December. The founders include: senior Ellison Ballinger, senior Isabella Brooks, senior Taylor Bryne, Hamilton, senior Steven Petrovski, junior Jacob Sandvig and junior Miranda Smith. The club is advised by vice principal Kimberly Hodsdon.

“I think [mental health] should be prioritized because it is just as important as physical health and the more we talk about it, the more we break down the stigma,” Hamilton said.

The founders felt the community as a whole would gain from a mental health club after they heard students from other schools talk about how beneficial their mental health club was.

“We are hoping to be a place where everybody feels welcome and become a place where people can go to escape their stressful life,” Smith said.

During meetings, which occur once a month, students complete activities designed to better mental health, like drawing or making stress balls.

“Mental Health is important to focus on because if you’re mental health is good you’re more likely to succeed,” Smith said.

Although the first meeting occurred back in December, it’s not too late to join. To find out more information, contact Hodsdon at [email protected] or message the club’s Instagram @eaglessoar_.

“I think that it is extremely important for us to focus on mental health because so many kids right now are going through so much whether it be stressing about school work or tests, problems with other people or anxiety from all of the bad things that are happening in the world right now,” Sandvig said. “We hope to get as many kids in this club as possible so that we can provide as much support as we can and to just help them feel better.”