UCS explores later start time

UCS+is+conducting+research+and+convening+an+advisory+group+to+look+into+a+possible+later+high+school+start+time.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

UCS explores later start time

UCS is conducting research and convening an advisory group to look into a possible later high school start time.

Jessica Barjuca

Jessica Barjuca

Jessica Barjuca

Jessica Barjuca, Staff Writer

Adolescents should log around 8.5-9.5 hours of sleep, according to American Academy of Pediatrics and American Academy of Sleep Medicine.

UCS is currently looking into the possibility of high schools starting later. Factors that can affect this decision, include: transportation, athletics and how much it would cost, according to the UCS website.  

“I’m happy that we’re able to convene a committee and looking forward to seeing what the results are and then making a decision in the best interest of our community and our students,” Superintendent Dr. Christine M. Johns said.           

UCS surveyed parents, students and teachers to gather their feelings on the late start topic. Currently, the district is analyzing the survey data and preparing an advisory committee, according to Johns.     

“I wouldn’t want a later start, because it means we will get out later. Next year, I’m getting a job so my shift would have to start later, which means I’d be working until a later time. I don’t want to work late shifts on school nights,” sophomore Gabriella Croncenzi said.

There are two different possible start option UCS is looking at. The first time is starting high schools at 8:20 a.m. and ending at 3:30 p.m; the second is at starting 8:35 a.m. and ending at 3:35 p.m. If a late start went into effect, it would happen in the 2020-2021 school year, according to Johns.  

“There’s a lot of pros and cons to it,” principal Jared McEvoy said. “I don’t have a stance at this point; I am interested to see the feedback. We want to be in a position where we can make a good informed decision.”

• UCS explores later start time

Feature

LCCE prom is a go

• UCS explores later start time

News

Time to get jazzy

• News

Tis’ the season for giving

• UCS explores later start time

News

Power outage affects PSAT/NMSQT scores

• News

Cell out for a veteran

• UCS explores later start time

News

Can drive thrown for LCCE prom

• UCS explores later start time

News

Colleges visit school

• UCS explores later start time

News

Snow Queen play anticipates chills

• News

Winterguard helps beat winter blues

• UCS explores later start time

News

Costume day ahead? Uh, yeah I sure hope it is

UCS explores later start time