Time to tackle breast cancer

Jacob Grot

Anthony Cardamone, James Collins, and JaiJavante Reid wear pink socks in support of breast cancer awareness month. The team wore pink on Oct. 12, where they defeated Dakota.

The month of October is special to breast cancer awareness and students showed their support by wearing pink.

“This year, our Breast Cancer Awareness game [was the] game against Dakota. We’re going to wear a lot of pink mainly. Our coach ordered some pink clothing for the team to actually wear, so we’re going to support Breast Cancer Awareness,” junior varsity football player Michael Gardini said.

The varsity football team showed their support by wearing pink socks to the game against Dakota on Oct. 12. Additionally, a pink-out was organized on Oct. 5 where students wore pink to the football game against Anchor Bay.

“It actually does mean a lot to me, because my mom had breast cancer. I like to acknowledge it as much as I can. I like to do the breast cancer walk every year, as many as I can do. I donate money. It just means a lot to me,” sophomore Sydney Townsend said.

Whether a personal connection with breast cancer or not, many students found it important to show their support by wearing pink to school and the game.

“I feel like some people don’t really understand the amount of people who actually get it,” Gardini said. “I have family members and my other friends whose parents actually have it and I’ve lost people to it, so to me it’s a big deal.”