School store unwrapped

Sweatshirts, pumpkin spice, Arizona ice teas and bagels can be found walking the halls; these snacks and student workers are just of the few things found nowhere else but the school store.

“I like that they have good things that you can buy that you can’t get in the food lines” senior Collin Kasper said.

The School store is located in the commons near the art pod. Selling dozens of items not found in the regular lunch line. About 500 students come by every day to purchase the items from the school store.

To service all those students takes about 50 students to work the store. These students are part of two class hours and all lunch periods.  

“It’s a better way to learn” senior Suzanne DeGroot said, “[It’s a] real life atmosphere where you’re working in a store and not just learning about what we have to do [in books].”

Despite the name school store, the store is still a class. The store allows students to gain practical experience with equipment and interaction with customers.

The hands-on experience gained working at the store gives students a leg up in the job market. The school store is more than just a place to find snacks, it’s a class that can help teach students a hand-full of new skills.