NAHS set for structural reform

Photo/ Fabrizio Orsi de Paula

Senior Makenzie Steele is running for council in her first year in NAHS.

As National Art Honor Society (NAHS) elections approach, candidates historically offered favors of food and belittled their opponents. Friendships ceased and campaigns turned ruthless, mimicking real-life politics.

It was time for a change.

“I get so sick and tired every year of seeing such amazing people turning into power-hungry people, because they want the presidency,” club sponsor Jennifer Ramirez said. “It just doesn’t make sense to have my students, who are supposed to get along together, to compete so hungrily. So it just made more sense to have a council and include everybody.”

The council will consist of five seniors, one junior and one sophomore. If no sophomores run, another junior takes the spot and vice-versa.

“Seniors have been invested in the club, usually for three years, so they have the experience to understand how the club works and how to get things done,” Ramirez said. “So I think it’s important to have the seniors as the leading members, but we still want a junior representative and a sophomore representative.”

In her first year as a member, senior Makenzie Steele plans to run for council.

“I’m so passionate about it,” Steele said.“I really want to help people with it and I think the new council will be amazing with all the people that are running, because we all get along very well and are able to be productive.”

Nominations will occur Sept. 27. Speeches and voting will take place Oct. 4. Both events will take place directly after school, in the art room, 311.

“I’m hoping it will affect them in a positive way and they can embrace the fact everybody has strengths, everybody can be a leader in some aspect,” Ramirez said. “They can play off each strengths and become a team; that’s what we really need to be teaching right now.”