Eagles donate more than gifts

Senior student council representative Christina Atanasoska organizes and prepares the Holiday Sharing gifts for pick-up. “It was stressful work but ultimately worth it,” Atanasoska said. She is excited to visit next year and hear about Holiday Sharing 2016.

Once upon a December, there were two pre-teen girls who needed Christmas gifts. When asked to write a list, they chose carefully and wrote what they needed, instead of what they wanted.

A teacher from the girls’ school revealed how much they loved One Direction and the timing was perfect, because the band was coming in concert. As the oldest girl began unwrapping the package, her sister curiously peered over her shoulder as concert tickets were revealed.

“Her eyes welled up and she literally started shaking. She was crying so hard. It was so amazing, because they didn’t ask for anything and they didn’t know we knew what they thought about One Direction,” Spanish Honor Society sponsor Monica Klesko said. “It’s a unique opportunity to give back to the culture that [students], themselves, are going to benefit so much from.”

Per tradition, Spanish Honor Society (SHS), Spanish club and Spanish classes adopt a local Hispanic family. Throughout the past 20 years, they worked with Catholic services in Pontiac and St. Clemens Church in Romeo; and recently partnered with UCS to adopt two local Hispanic families.

“They’ve provided a Christmas and the spirit of Christmas to people who’ve gone through some really hard times and are trying to find their way in this new world. I think they have provided Christmases to these families who otherwise wouldn’t have had much happiness this time of year,” Klesko said.

Not only did the students donate toys, they also collected pantry items, toiletries, household items and clothing. During the annual wrap and pack party, they wrapped the presents and wrote cards and clues about the packages’ contents. The SHS members also delivered the toys to the schools and families.

“It was very special. It was kind of emotional, because the kids were very happy. They didn’t have much. Also, they only asked for the things they needed; so they weren’t expecting the gifts we got them,” senior SHS president Michael Bucholtz said. “It was awesome. I really liked it. Every year it makes me happy.”

In addition to the Spanish departments donations and volunteering, other club sponsors, staff and students participated with UCS’s 2015 Holiday Sharing program to adopt local UCS families. Each family remains anonymous, for privacy, because they live in the district. As a result of the school’s collaboration, 10 families were adopted by Eisenhower groups and staff.

“When I see students sparking the compassion and creating their own ideas to help in the Holiday Sharing, it melts my heart. Holiday Sharing isn’t all about the giving of gifts,” coordinator Dara Crottie said. “Our goal is to bring a smile to people’s faces and let them know that people in their community care.”

Student Council helped coordinate 2015 Holiday Sharing at Eisenhower by contacting teachers and staff via email. Interested groups requested a family by simply replying to the email. They also organize the toy drop off to Switzer Elementary.

“I think it’s important to pay it forward. We don’t need anything, so we might as well help someone out who needs it,” bookkeeper Debbie Sova said.

Volunteers and staff at Switzer Elementary initiated Holiday Sharing in 1988 to incorporate students with the projects and help local at risk families, according to Crottie. Now, 27 years later, it has grown beyond Switzer and expanded to schools, programs, clubs and individuals all throughout UCS participate.

“I feel like a lot of times, kids our age always worry about what we want for Christmas; but it’s important to remember that there are people out there who need more than us,” senior National Art Honor Society president Jacqui Hinkson said. “It’s important to think about what we want to give, as opposed to what we want to be given.”