Fifth annual Poetry Day

Throughout the day today, students gathered in the Performing Arts Center (PAC) to celebrate the fifth annual Poetry Day in honor of deceased teacher Joann Schubert.

“It kind of brings to life what we study,” English teacher Craig Pajak said. “It’s a great day because we see the students present their own ideas, while honoring a great person.”

The day was full of student’s original poetry, covering different topics such as the long winter, struggles in life, childhood friendships, and even humor.

“I liked hearing everyone read because it’s different and a good break from the typical day,” senior Emily Miller said. “I really like the songs, too.”

Although many students read poetry, students took advantage of other ways to perform.Seniors Anna Agosta, Nick Tomayko, Katie Sickley and others performed songs, while senior Robby Coin and several others rapped. Senior Henry Ubaydi performed a drum solo. The Jazz Ensemble played during sixth hour, and several film students presented videos in sixth hour.

“I’ve rapped at Poetry Day the past three years and I got started because my friends and Mrs. Packan encouraged me too,” Coin said. “This year was especially cool because a lot more have started to get involved and I asked [senior] Grace Gunn to prom.”

Students were not the only ones involved in Poetry Day. Several teachers, such as Mr. Pajak, Mr. Bulat, and Mrs. Garrish, read their own original poetry. Pajak even performed his own drum solo.

“I liked seeing Mr. Pajak play the drums,” junior Gwen Kulin said. “I heard he did, so actually watching him play was really cool.”

Whether reading poetry, singing or playing an instruments, today was a special day for staff and students to remember Shubert.

“When she passed away we thought Poetry Day would be a neat way to keep her memory alive,” Bulat said. “I couldn’t be happier with how this year turned out.”