The student news site of Eisenhower High School

Ike News

Ike News

Ike News

Cannon roll callback

“The Fall Guy” releases as a tribute to Hollywood stunt work

Falling through fate. Colt talks to a stunt director. This scene leads to the first action scene in the movie. (Rotten Tomato )

Rebooting an old classic, “The Fall Guy” tries to live up to its roots.

“The Fall Guy” is a reboot of an old T.V. series that had started in the 1980’s. As an hour long movie, it cannot cover all the content of the original series, but is an enjoyable watch.

Following an ex-stuntman, the movie is paced very fast. In the first five minutes, the viewer immediately sees the incident which injured him at the start of the movie. At times, this feels too fast but it can help make the movie feel very compact despite being two hours long.

The movie invests more in the acting and action as opposed to the script, which is an issue at times but does not take away from the experience. Ryan Gosling portrays the protagonist Colt, who brings him to life and helps convey the frustration and tension he experiences as the film goes on.

“The Fall Guy” has hits and misses in terms of dialogue. At certain times it feels very cliche and at others it is very comedic and helps elevate the mood. Despite feeling forced at times, it helps capture the Hollywood stunt film feel that the story tries to capture.

The direction focused on action and the scenes reflect that. Every action scene involving the stunts were nerve wracking and exciting, which is what makes the film succeed as an action thriller. 

Overall, “The Fall Guy” is a fun experience despite some lackluster dialogue and possible pacing concerns. It works well as a tribute to stunt work and manages to be a very fun journey through everything Colt goes through.