Lacrosse rises in popuarity

Over the last decade, participation increased over 500%, prompting almost 700,000 players nationally

Prestige

During practice, junior Justin Shepard ran onto the field with fellow teammates. “I love to see how the sport has grown so much in our school; it makes me very proud to be apart of it,” Shepard said. Shepard continues to practice for the upcoming season.

The school’s lacrosse program grew in size over the past 15 years as the number of teams tripled since the club’s founding in 1999.

“While being on the team, I’ve noticed an increase of players,” junior midfielder Brennan Pierce said. “I think it’s because of the hype it’s been getting and because people are realizing what a cool and fun sport it is, which makes existing players more competitive and pushed them to be better.”

Nationwide participation in lacrosse increased 500 percent over the last 10 years, with nearly 700,000 players in the U.S., according to Lacrosse All Stars. A surge of high school interest in the sport started stimulating in 2001, making lacrosse the fastest growing sport among high schools, with over 200,000 high school players.

“I think the appeal of lacrosse, for most participants and spectators, is based on the sport’s unique blend of speed, agility, finesse and physicality; for this reason lacrosse is known as ‘the fastest sport on two feet,’” JV-B Lacrosse head coach Jim Polite said.

The school’s first lacrosse program was started by Dale Forbes, and was one of the first school lacrosse programs in Macomb County. Because of the large numbers of players, approximately 70 students fill three teams: Varsity, JV-A and JV-B, so as many interested students as possible receive the opportunity to play as possible.

“I picked this sport because of it’s uniqueness and the rush it gives me when I’m on the field,” sophomore JV-B player Brandon Tomayko said. “I like the high intensity.”

Because lacrosse is played at such a fast pace, the game provides high scoring with plenty of physical demand. It’s also attractive as a cross-over sport for many athletes who also play football, hockey or soccer, making it easy to stay in shape during off-season.

“For the most part, I think people try out the sport to see what it’s like and get attached,” Pierce said. “To me, it would be hard not to, because my teammates have become a second family and I get to compete in one of the toughest divisions in Southeast Michigan.”