Valentine’s Day irrelevance

Valentines Day irrelevance

It’s the time when people scramble to find a special someone for their #Valentine’sDayGoals date.

It seems to have become a February tradition for students to take to social media to complain about their lack of love on Valentine’s Day. Or if they do have someone special in their life, to post picture after picture of their relationship. “#goals”

Many people in relationships also expect their significant other to buy them expensive gifts or meals. They need to remember how old they are and leave their dreams of Cartier jewelry for the future— not high school.

Why do students let one measly day of the year consume their thoughts? All of a sudden Feb. 14 rolls around and it’s time to find a special someone. But apparently the other 364 days of the year it’s lame to be tied down to a relationship in high school.

Sure, sometimes Valentine’s Day means getting spoiled by, or spoiling, your significant other which most people love. There are many other holidays for that. There’s no need to shell out hundreds of dollars for a holiday that was practically made up so people would waste their money.

Students are so caught up in trying to find someone to spend Valentine’s Day, with they forget the meaning of the holiday. Valentine’s Day is about people you love, not just your boyfriend or girlfriend.

The people so caught up in finding the perfect guy or girl to go on their perfect Valentine’s date are no older than 18. Most high school relationships stay that way: a high school relationship. So there’s no need to stress about the person you like when you could be focused on college or your next test—something that will actually affect your future.

Students are too caught up in the stress of Valentine’s Day: who’s the perfect person to spend it with? What’s the perfect gift for him or her? Where’s the perfect place for our date? High school is stressful enough, Valentine’s day is unnecessary stress.

Spending Valentine’s Day single is fairly easy: hang out with friends, watch a movie, catch up on some studying or just treat it like any other day. The only thing to avoid when single on Valentine’s Day: stressing out about being single.

Valentine’s Day is about love, not about relationships. Spend the day loving yourself, no boyfriend or girlfriend required. Get a manicure and pedicure, go shopping, play video games, binge watch Netflix. #TreatYourself

It isn’t just single people who stress about Valentine’s Day, people in relationships do it, too. And Valentine’s Day is just as insignificant for them.

There’s no reason to spend hours a day reading magazine articles on how to find the perfect gift for a significant other. Being together is enough. Spend the holiday hanging out— not trying to be “#relationshipgoals.” You will be a lot happier.

Bottom line: Valentine’s Day is just another day. At 15, 16, 17 or 18— or at any age— it’s okay to be single, even on Valentine’s Day.

There is no need to scramble to find a special someone to spend Valentine’s Day with—if you’re single: be your own special someone. If you’re in a relationship, great. Just don’t obsess over one insignificant day.

The real #Valentine’sDayGoal: be happy no matter your relationship status.