The student news site of Eisenhower High School

Ike News

Ike News

Ike News

Permit painted parking

During seniors’ last year, painting parking spots should be permitted
Aleska Trpkovski
Incoming senior president Michael Smolenski wants to fight for the privilege to paint senior parking spots. On the left, the school doesn’t permit painted parking lots, unlike Romeo, on the right.

Introducing the experience of painting parking spots to seniors helps express creativity in the school parking lot.

Traditions have lasting benefits, such as: creating a sense of comfort and belonging, bringing people together and prompting new friends and values. Other schools establish a sense of community when entering the parking lot. We can have that unity too. Permitting seniors this

painted parking spot tradition could help improve the environment by adding a more vibrant and inviting impression, which would then reflect positively back on the students and community.

Also, this new tradition would provide a creative outlet for relieving senior year pressures. Painting is a method of stress release and could positively impact students’ overall mental health.

“A positive school climate is critically related to school success. For example, it can improve attendance, achievement and retention and even rates of graduation,” according to safesupportivelearning.ed.gov.

While the administration would need to gain approval for the concept at the board office level, the only other possible consideration would be a potential petty argument of someone parking in another student’s spot.  And frankly, once people get used to where they park, it’ll be no big deal. 

Therefore, the parking spot painting tradition is essentially harmless and could benefit the school financially too. Each senior who wants to paint their parking spot would pay the school a fee. That way, seniors would be financially accountable for their spot.

Bottom line: seniors painting parking spots isn’t a burden, it could be a new tradition. It offers students a new experience to create something personal and contribute to the community, while financially benefiting the school and giving back to upcoming seniors and the school.