Lockdown unlocks potential

Staff editorial: Rachael Gaulin

For so long, people suffer during the pandemic with no end in sight, fighting poverty, depression and illness; but now with the vaccine around the corner, hope prospers more than ever as teens emerge from these dark times.
The 10-week long lockdown in Michigan presented students with an opportunity like no other, as the constant business of life left no time for personal reflection. As the world seemed to fall apart around them, they learned to prioritize themselves before anyone else; they developed hobbies, gained confidence, matured and found themselves through this period of self-realization.
Make-up sales dropped significantly while skincare products rose during the pandemic, meaning people now value their cleanliness and upkeep instead of their makeup compared to years past, according to NHR Insider. For years now, society expected women to wear makeup and look their best, but over quarantine things changed when the world lost so much and life was put into perspective. Societal standards don’t seem as important anymore and people free themselves from constraints and gain self-confidence without the use of makeup.
While the world suffered, teens realized nothing in life is guaranteed. Before the pandemic, most lived life like it was promised, but now they appreciate more moments. The lockdown gave teens time to take control of their lives and gain independence and maturity, as they discovered what direction they wanted their lives to take.
The lockdown kept friendships under constant pressure, as staying in touch was challenging with no face-to-face interaction allowed. Those who used social media, video games, text and even phone calls found friendships that did survive came out stronger than ever.
Students required a ton of support to get through the long months of isolation and they prioritized relationships with those who put effort in to support them. Not to mention, struggling through a pandemic together builds a strong bond due to shared experience.
Many students felt they had all the time in the world during lockdown and time slowed down, which led to increased boredom. This increased boredom made people desperate for entertainment, so they developed new hobbies, such as a newfound passion or important coping mechanisms. These new skills and activities will stick with them for years to come.
The pandemic took a huge toll on many families in America and those who managed to find the light in the situation are incredibly lucky. Many students mourned the loss of loved ones, suffered from mental illness or struggled financially and those struggles still continue to this day.
Oppositely, some students managed to gain mental stability during the lockdown. Teens, as a whole, fared better due to more sleep, stronger family relationships and less social media, according to the Atlantic.
Some students became more aware of the struggles facing minority groups during the lockdown with the help of social media. Activism surged in youth, which shows how the virus changed people to be more considerate and empathetic to those with less fortune, according to the Atlantic. Social justice may be just around the corner with this development.
This is an incredibly sensitive topic as the pandemic continues to wreak havoc, but the lockdown itself provided well-needed time off for hard-working families. It also stands as a great lesson that a population needs work breaks to be happy. The lives lost during the pandemic are irreplaceable and their loss will not be forgotten, but the strength the youth gained during this time provides hope for the world’s future.