Stress Sabotoge

stress impacts your mental health for the worse

Back to Article
Back to Article

Stress Sabotoge

Sophomores Ashley Reiff and Melina Ianucci feel stressed out after a long day at school.

Amber Slagle

Amber Slagle

Amber Slagle

Amber Slagle, Staff Writer

Today’s teens deal with so much stress due to school, sports, home life, and our phones. Student athletes sometimes feel overwhelmed with juggling all that stress. Stress is almost like a domino effect. When your body is overwhelmed it causes anxiety and it can cause your sleeping and eating habits to go downhill. With your body being deprived of vitamins and rest it causes you to perform worse.

Exercise reduces stress hormones in your body and stimulates production of endorphins. According to MedicineNet.com, endorphins are brain chemicals which function to transmit electrical signals within the nervous system and act similarly to drugs such as morphine and codeine. They are natural mood lifters that can keep stress and depression at bay. Endorphins may even leave you feeling more relaxed and optimistic after a hard workout. 

The basics to reduce stress would include eating well and getting enough sleep. KidsHealth.com suggests doing something fun and relaxing like going for a walk, riding a bike, seeing a movie, or hanging out with friends. Anything that takes your mind off of competing is good to immerse yourself into to recharge your mindset.

Just going outside for a bit is good for your mental state. Businessinsider.com claims that being outside changes the physical expression of stress in the body . ” One study found that students sent into the forest for two nights had lower levels of cortisol- a hormone often used as a marker for stress- then those who spent time in a city.

Stress can play around with your health more than you would expect. Mayoclinic.org explains how stress affects different aspects of your health. Stress on your body can give you headaches, muscle tension or pain, chest pain, fatigue, change in sex drive, upset your stomach, and give you sleep problems. Your mood is affected as well. Stress can cause anxiety, restlessness, overwhelming feelings, irritability or anger, and sadness or depression. Lastly, your behaviour could be subject to change too, such as, overeating or under eating, angry outbursts, drug or alcohol outbursts, tobacco use, social withdrawal, and exercising less often.