AP Enviromental science classes test water at Yates

AP Environmental Science students took a trip to Yates Cider Mill to test water in the Clinton River. “I’m excited for the students to go on this field trip because we’ve been studying water quality and pollution, and now they will actually be able to do something hands-on with the material they’ve learned,” Environmental Science teacher Brygida Deriemaker said. Students will not begin a lab on their findings.

The AP Environmental Science classes took a field trip to the Clinton River at Yates Cider Mill on May 1.

“I’m excited for the students to go on this field trip because we’ve been studying water quality and pollution, and now they will actually be able to do something hands-on with the material they’ve learned,” Environmental Science teacher Brygida DeRiemaker said.

Students will use water testing kits to test for different materials, such as cholera and  in the water. elemental minerals.

“I’m excited to find out what’s really in the water. I’ll be surprised if any tests come back that exceed the tolerable limits because I think it’s pretty clean,” senior Kylie Setterington said.

After the field trip, students will complete a lab that concludes their findings. This lab helps students learn about water quality, how anthropogenic factors affect water and ways in which people can help water pollution.

“I think doing this lab will help to fully understand the material we’ve been learning,” junior Aubrey Fisher said. “And I think that will help to applying what we’ve learned to everyday life.”