Unperks of Being Ordinary

Teens must publish a novel, be fluent in multiple languages, visit all seven continents, be an Olympian, stop world hunger and be involved with every single school club to gain college acceptance.

Not literally, but it certainly feels that way.

Students give high school their best shot, perform adequately on their ACT and are denied from schools because they are ordinary.

For all intents and purposes, ordinary exists in the middle of not living as a trust-fund baby and not overcoming circumstances with the makings of a great HBO documentary.

Writing a mere 500 word essay makes students feel more common than the common application they’re expected to complete.

It would be stellar if there was a box students could check that says, “I’m average and worthy of your college, please accept me.” However, no such luck.

Overall, ordinary is a reality for most. And it’s not a fun place to be.

While it’s easier to give up, eat junk food and scream out frustrations to the tune of angsty teen music—students need to fight back.

Colleges are the sharks and it is unfair how they’ve pushed the fish into feeling unworthy of attending their expensive facilities; but if students want to win, they have to play the game.

This implies students must be honest, concise, likable, vivid, smart and present themselves as an individual who won’t be defined by 500 words; but will show it by their success.

Students are instructed from an early age to be humble and that still holds true. However, they don’t have to sell themselves short to avoid being arrogant. This is the time for students to present themselves as secured in their abilities, confident and momentarily revel in the hard work they’ve put in to be where they are.

Now is the time to stop being kittens and roar.

Just because colleges attempt to make students feel inferior, doesn’t mean students can give up and throw a pity party. Focus on what’s controllable.

Teens should concentrate on what they are truly passionate about and exploit their best qualities. No one is really interested in how students joined every single club, that will mean nothing to them outside of high school, in a desperate attempt to be different.

Talk about art. Talk about volunteering at an animal shelter. Talk about robotics. Flat out, just talk about something that actually hold meaning in your life.

Students may not have discovered their life passion yet and that’s fine, but they need to showcase they’re not dull or the same as everyone else and ready to commit to the whirlwind that is college.

Students don’t need to dramatize their lives— they just need to stop presenting themselves as something as tragic as ordinary.