Spanish students have a fiesta

From tamales to sweet cookies, Monica Klesko’s classroom is filled with the smell of spices. Spanish fiesta is held every year in her class and gives students the opportunity to create authentic Spanish dishes.

Creating another culture’s dish does come with its own challenges. With all the different dishes being created, it takes time and effort to perfect.

“It was kind of hard to make the dishes, because it involved a lot of cooking techniques- but it was fun,” junior Marissa McCree said.

McCree made “las tapas” a spanish dish that consists of a variety of appetizers.  The dishes came from all over Spanish speaking countries such as Spain, Mexico, Colombia etc.

“One of the most special dishes made today was the Rosca de Reyes It taste like sweet bread just like a dessert and whoever finds the baby Jesus within it throws a party February 2nd” Klesko said.

Even though the students bring in food and have a relaxing day, there’s a deeper meaning to it all. The true meaning of the culture behind the language must be taught, according to Klesko.

In Klesko’s classes there are students with a Mexican or Spanish heritage and this is a chance to bring a piece of home to school to show fellow classmates.

“To be able to share my culture is really an honor and makes me proud of my heritage being Mexican,” senior Ana Grajeda said.

Grajeda brought in pork tamales and taught her classmates how to eat them properly.

Taking a language is a great opportunity to learn and experience more than a class and Spanish fiesta with Klesko is just one example.

Casey Novak, Zachary Matovski and Zach Pickell enjoy some Spanish food.