Think before drinking alcohol

Spring time: a period of renewal and rejuvenation. Or for some high school students, the rebirth of reckless behavior. The parties start the week of spring break and the fun doesn’t stop until the end of summer.

And, believe it or not, this is all possible without the consumption of alcohol. At any age, let alone 16, 17 or 18, alcohol is not needed to have a good time.

Is the short-lived drunkenness really worth the consequences that come as a result? No.

Alcohol is a harmful substance that only impairs a person’s judgement and reason, while scarring developing cognitive abilities. Brain development is severely altered at the expense of binge intoxication. And unfortunately, this type of intoxication is the most popular among teens.

The only thing that alcohol does is make a person less intelligent and less motivated. And during high school, especially during the end of the school year, it’s not the time to be lazy.

On a more physical note, alcohol slowly but surely destroys a person’s appearance—dehydration, wrinkles, bloating and redness. And the toxins in the alcohol cause an abundance of cellulite to build up in the fatty parts of the body. Why work so hard for the “perfect summer bod” when all that effort is gone to waste at the expense of alcohol?

Not only is alcohol bad for the brain and body, but it can ruin a person’s life in a blink of an eye. The evidence is everywhere. Don’t drink and drive commercials flood the stations, while rape and sexual abuse advocates promote sobriety to encourage awareness during emergency situations.  

To students, alcohol may seem like a typical party favor, a noconsequence thirst quencher. Students are so consumed with “getting drunk” at parties and on spring break, they’re not worried about the consequences of their actions.

Life isn’t a carefree movie. Life has repercussions. And every decision one makes will affect the course of their and others’ life and well-being.

Don’t be a follower. No “good time” is worth harmful side effects, or worsea life.

The end of the school year is a time to relax and decompress from the long weeks of stress caused by early mornings, late nights and mountains of homework.

Have fun with friends and family. Enjoy the moments in a sober state of mind.